Search This Blog

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Princess Peach (birth to 12) a brief history

Only reason I am giving a life history of myself is so that everyone is on the same page when they think about my history. So I will start at the beginning. May 28, 1982 in West Palm Beach, Florida, I was born at 6:33 p.m. to my mother (Carla) and my father (Michael - prefers Mike). For the most part I had a mundane childhood, nothing really sticks out too much in my mind. As for what kind of child I was, my own perspective was that I was a quiet child.

I did not have many friends, I generally kept to myself. From the very beginning as a young girl, I was always on the chunky side. This did not help the situation at school; kids are cruel. It certainly didn't give me any incentive to try to reach out and gain friends. As for activities as a child, there were a few extra curricular activities I participated in. As long as I can remember I was in Girl Scouts, started as a Daisy and by the time we left Florida (I'll get to this part eventually) my last position was a Cadet. Sadly, I was a loner at these functions as well, I didn't see a need to talk to people who seemed obsessed over stupid things like "New Kids on the Block" back then. (Now I feel old.) I was not much of an athlete, but there were some things I enjoyed doing. From age 6 to 12, I was on a bowling league. I loved my Saturday morning bowling. These were the only kids I felt at ease with, not to mention they had Saturday morning cartoons playing on a big screen behind us while we waited for our turn. Saturday mornings were a ritual for our family. I thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. In the morning (around 8) we would get up and go to a restaurant named Rod's (now closed). When I got there I ALWAYS got there biscuits and gravy (I think there was crack in the gravy it was addictive). Then after that we headed straight to the bowling center which was maybe a mile away, we'd go to the lane our team had been assigned to. Generally there were match ups between the two leagues that were playing side by side. The winner of the game set was the team with the best average. A game set consists of 3 games back to back. Our team was pretty good, not the worst, not the best. I was there for the fun and that's what it was. After the games we would all pile back in the Cherokee and go to Dunkin Donuts and meet up with my parents' friends. My family were regulars at this donut shop, and so were our friends. Probably my closest "friend" during my childhood, was one of the daughters of my parents' friends. Her name is Samantha, she has a sister name Breanna. Parents were Danny and Patty. There are others at the donut shop as well, like Cooter, Bill, Jill, VJ, Shirley, and Lynn. Most of these people have now passed on :(. We were all part of a camping club. By camping club, I mean all of us would go to the same campground and get multiple sites near each other and stay for a few days. I have many stories about these trips, but I'll go into those separately in other posts. One other extracurricular activity I had for one year of my life. In 6th grade, I was part of a softball team. I played many positions; catcher, right outfield, left outfield, and 1st base (very few times). Once I finally learned how to hit I had a lot of fun. Amazingly enough our team came in 3rd place for state championship here. Something else I forgot to mention about the bowling, but I want to cause I'm proud of it. When I was 12 (this is before we moved - same year though) I was sent to Winter Gardens, Florida for State Championship for my center for the Juniors division. Yeah I didn't do well. I was scared to death and kept shaking. But heck still proud of it all the same.

Scholastically was different. I did not like school in the least. When I was in elementary school at H.L. Johnson, I felt that many of my teachers were against me. In the second grade, there was a parent teacher conference held to discuss my "issues" of paying attention. (My mother had me tested for ADD, Doc said if I was it was very mildly.) So a lovely device (sarcasm) was employed to keep me "on task". These were referred to the appropriately named On Task Sheet. This sheet consisted of 8 boxes, 4 columns, 2 rows. Everytime I was caught not doing what I was supposed to do or daydreaming a big X was put in a box. Degrading to say the least. To boot, as it went on the more X's I got I started to lose privileges at home. My parents had to sign the on task sheet every night. The penalties were things like having no TV, no second helpings (I told you I was a chunky girl), going to bed 1 hour early, and lastly going to bed 2 hours early. This started in the 2nd grade and didn't stop until the 4th grade. Not sure why it stopped cause the problem still existed. Maybe the teacher didn't want to be bothered with marking my sheet (I didn't like and still don't like my 4th grade teacher, she had favorites). That pretty much covers the basics of my early childhood, until early 7th grade.

In 1994, there was some heavy problems at the place my father was working at. Additionally, he wanted a safer lifestyle for his children (my brother, Chris and I). So he started sending out resumes. Mid 1994, he got a phone call from a company called Micron. Many of you reading this know that name all too well. They flew my parents to Idaho so my father could interview for a position there. We stayed at Lynn's house and took advantage of her pool. 3 days later, my father comes back beaming. My mom is all aflutter with info on Boise, Idaho. My reaction to the possibility is not a happy one. I'm happy where I am, to hell with a safer lifestyle. I wanted Florida. My brother was indifferent on the subject, he was only 6 or 7 at the time. Though he remained a pretty aloof person. We waited about a week. I came home one day from school, and find my father at home with my mother. Micron offered him the position. Don't get me wrong I love the people I have met in Idaho as they have shaped me in so many ways. But my allegiance will forever be with Florida. I love the Sunshine State. I did not react well to their news of moving to the Gem State. And when it was found out at school that I was moving to a state known for its potatoes...well let the heckling begin. (Good taters though.) We left our homestead on Mango, late October and drove cross country in two vehicles. Mazda truck and an Explorer (Exploder). My cats did not like the trip (I had two, Bootsie and Elvira). My first vision of Idaho, was a desolate one, and oddly stereotypical of a desert state. As we were going down the highway had several tumbleweeds following along with us that blustery afternoon. October 26, 1994 we had arrived. My Dad started at Micron on that very Halloween. That ends this chapter of my life. See the next portion for 12 to 27 from Idaho to Virginia. So much for brief.

No comments:

Post a Comment